It’s true that Macs, in general, are better protected against viruses and malware. It’s one of the main reasons why people choose Mac over PC. However, Macs can get viruses. And it can be even more dangerous to get a virus on a Mac, since you’re probably not as vigilant as a PC user. But don’t worry; you can get rid of them. In the following sections, we’ll show you a few ways how get rid of a virus on a Mac.
How to make sure that you’re Mac Doesn’t Get Infected
Preventions are better than cure, and that applies to computer viruses as well. While nobody can guarantee your Mac will never get infected, there are a few things you can do to make it harder to get a virus on a Mac.
Malicious software usually gets picked up while browsing or downloading stuff off the internet. Sometimes, you may be tricked into downloading something that is not what it pretends to be.
· Download software only from trusted sources, such as iTunes or official websites
· Never fill in personal information in forms unless you know exactly what they are for. On a similar note, never mention personal information, passwords or usernames online in public spaces, such as forums, comments sections or social media.
· Avoid clicking pop up ads or ads that sound too good to be true
· If it’s at all possible, disable Java and Acrobat Reader. Both Java and Acrobat Reader are known to have security flaws that might allow malicious content to leak into your computer.
· Keep your firewall enabled at all times.
How to Get Rid of a Virus on a Mac
Not all viruses are the same, and as such you’ll first need to know what type of virus has infected your computer before you can figure out how to get rid of a virus on a Mac. Unfortunately, the most aggressive viruses can only be removed if you contact Apple customer service. Since Mac viruses are not very common, there aren’t as many solutions as there are for PC viruses. However, if your problem is a less devastating virus, it can easily be removed with one of two extremely useful pieces of software.